Thursday, February 27, 2014

Week 1: My Starting Place

I am currently taking a class titled "Web Resources 2.0" for Professional Development. Last week, I was given the challenge, "This week you will start a blog and over the course of these four weeks (or longer), write about how you are using technology in your classroom. Then post a link to your blog on the teacher's Twitter feed." (Part 1--CHECK. Part 2--Still under debate. Do I join one more social media website or not?!)

For my first blog, I have decided to reflect on my past and current incorporation of technology, as well as where I currently stand on this topic during my ever-changing life that is called "First-Year Teaching" (or maybe just "Teaching" in general). I find that I am more and more interested in learning about advances in technology, but I am perplexed as to how to effectively incorporate it into my daily classroom routines without an excessive loss of instructional time. I know how much time it takes to log in, set up, and all meet at the same place online, not to mention the usernames and passwords that need to be individually set up for each student.

When I think about how I have used technology this week in my classroom, it has mostly been for "behind-the-scenes" kind of work. I have altered 80+ images using Adobe Photoshop for a Painting Project with Art Basics, created 3 handouts using Adobe Illustrator, uploaded and downloaded documents and handouts to my Google website, and used a projector with a PowerPoint presentation. All of these uses were self-directed and exclusive for me to do. My students did not partake in the making/learning/using of technology; yet, they reaped the benefits by being able to use the products.

We were asked last week, "What do you wish your students knew how to do?" I had responded, "Nothing. I think that they are pretty adequate technology users." I take my answer back! This week, I have been asked over and over again, "How do I print a picture?" That's the first thing I wish they could all do on their own... And I'm guessing more things would spring forward if I gave them technology tasks to accomplish.

It'll be good to have a class that challenges me to do give them more reasons to become familiar with using new and old ways of technology.

2 comments:

  1. Good reflection! It's funny how the more you ask of your students the more you find out what they can/cannot do.

    As far as time it takes to login and access websites, I think you'll find that the more often you commit to using the tools, the quicker your students will be at getting started. Case in point, last week in class we spent at least 10 minutes setting up our blendspace logins, and today you all jumped right in!

    Are there any of those Adobe tasks or handout creating that you could pass on to students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of resources that you can log into as one individual and still work as a group. Look into the different Augmented Reality sites such as Aurasma. Look at coding with your students through code.org of scratch. Try screencasting. Amazing stuff out there, Easy to be overwhelmed

    ReplyDelete